Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Own MasterCard Commercial

**Photos added per Shar's comment

1 Pre-Anesthesia Lab (>6 year old)
$41.00
1 IV Catheter
$25.50
1 Penicillin injection
$16.00
1 Dental: Clean and Polish
$41.00
1 Dental Anesthesia
$47.25
1 Tumor Removal
$48.00
1 Histopath-single tissue
$85.00
1 Clavamox Drops
$18.80


The look on my husbands face when he sees the credit card bill for our cat's vet bill? I don't actually want to see it, because it will not be priceless.

I firmly believe that like kids, if you are going to have pets you have to take care of them. That means footing the bill for some crazy vet work every now and again. I don't know what it is about me, but every long-haired male cat I have ever owned has ended up with terrible periodontal disease. Which means no matter what the diet, their teeth get terribly infected and rot out from the gums.

Though I must say I don't quite get the whole polish part. The cleaning, yes. But why the fuck do you have to polish my cat's teeth? It's not like we are going to take a picture or anything.

I probably would have let it go for a few more years except for the growth on his neck. We thought it was a cyst. Turns out it was a tumor. Probably benign, but that is not something I will just let go.

It's just that this could not come at a more inopportune time. Hey Heather, um, can I see that card again for a minute?

_________________________________________________________
Here are the photos, per Shar's comment.

The Stitches
Stitches

That $300+ Smile
That Polished Smile

Here he is from last year, just so you guys don't think he is a devil cat. LOL


10 comments:

Mrs. Booms said...

Oh I so want a picture of your cat smiling and showing those pearly whites. :)

Not Afraid to Use It said...

As you wish!!

RiverPoet said...

My dear NATUI -

See my post of yesterday about bulldogs. My average cost for a trip to the vet for an illness in one of my dogs is %1500. And then I took on my daughter's cat and had her spayed and treated for ear infections ($600). I'm pet-poor! Like you, I think if you have them, you have to take care of them.

Hope your little baby is doing fine tonight - Hugs - D

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Them's some be-yoo-tiful toofers, kitty!

I would gladly loan you the card. Alas, I also forked out about $300 for yearly vet appointments for my two cats and my mothers' one. Plus? My older cat required blood work due to his age.

FUN!

Mrs. Booms said...

I would ask for my money back. :)

Ah, sweet kitty smiles.

Mouthy Girl said...

Oooooooooooooh what a damn bill!

I LOVE the pictures! You should always include horrid pictures for the masses!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

@Shar: What?!?!? That doesn't look like it was worth $300+ of dental work to you? LOL

@Buddha_Girl: What do you mean "horrid"? Isn't that just the sweetest face you've ever seen? Actually my mom was horrified that I took the picture that way. But how else in the world are you going see his damned teeth? I told her that he isn't going to just grin for me. I think it is hilarious, which is why I have this blog and she doesn't get to read it.

Shelley Jaffe said...

Countess NATUI: Just exactly what kind of GD-freak-vampire beast do you have? That picture is fairly unsettling. As for the polish - the vet astutely has figured out that shiny teeth+feline attraction=unprotected cat sex=more patients with more teeth to shine. Simple math.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

You guys are hilarious!!! I've now added a regular photo of him. Even though you can't see his beautiful blue eyes. He really isn't a devil cat. I just thought the fang photo was funny!

Anonymous said...

We spent over $3k to save our dog after he had a bad reaction from a Lyme Disease vaccine. That hurt, but he was our starter baby...you know, we didn't kill the puppy so we thought we were ready to have a baby.

How could you NOT save such a cuddly kitty? The non-devil cat picture is so sweet.