Saturday, October 13, 2007

If This Vacation Doesn't Kill Me It Will Be A Miracle

We survived are back from our week-long vacation to Monterey and San Francisco. There is nothing more relaxing than being trapped in a car driving for five hours with a 13-month old and a two and a half-year old. The one continuous thought I had running through my head the entire week was that if this vacation doesn't kill me it will be a miracle.

From the incessant I want Raffi! I want Raffi! to the random screeches from my son who wanted out of his carseat I thought my ears were going to start bleeding.

But, isn't this what childhood is all about? Our parents dragging us from one locale to another telling us how much fun we are having? Dad white-knuckling the steering wheel and mom quietly sobbing into her Starbucks latte--Look at the beautiful scenery, kids.

These are the moments we treasure.

Actually, it was not all horrible. We will get the pictures printed and put into scrapbooks. We will selectively filter out the stress and headaches and completely ignore the fact that we blew out the shredder getting rid of the mountains of receipts from all the crap we bought along the way. We will remember the oohs and aahs of the new things the kids encountered and it will bring a warm fuzzy glow to our hearts.

Thank god we do not have to go on vacation again until next year.

And remind me to bring my rose-coloured glasses with me next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are back! Can't wait to see some photos of the trip.

I soooo need a vacation, even with the punk. And the kid.

Patois42 said...

Vacations and childbirth are made of the same memory-zapping materials. It's why we do it again. And again. And, in my case, yet again.