Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How Hard Is It To Keep A Playdate?

One would think in the current age of cell phones and voice mail that keeping in touch with your friends and acquaintances would be fairly easy. If you can't get the live person on the phone, it is practically guaranteed that you will get some kind of answering service to leave a message.

Which leads me to my question. How hard is it to keep a play date? Apparently, pretty damned hard. I am so sick of flaky moms these days. I know that things come up when one has an infant or a toddler. And having a combination of the two makes planning even harder.

Now, let me clarify. I have no problem with the breaking of the play date, just tell me that you are breaking it. Don't leave me sitting at home waiting for you to show up, with my daughter waiting for you to show up. It is fucking rude.

Besides the fact that it is disrespectful to me, what is this teaching their children? To my children? Is it really that hard to call my house and tell me that nap time ran over, or that the kids are melting down and you cannot face putting them into the car? No, isn't. I am sick of the rampant lack of courtesy I have been shown. If it were not for the fact that my daughter loves to play with some of these kids I would not even bother.

In all honesty, I do not know many people in this new town. I am lonely. And loneliness makes a mom reach out to people that she might normally tell to go fuck themselves. Like a puppy begging for scraps of affection, so do I continue to pad after these moms. Hoping to find even one who likes me enough to want a cup of coffee. They can probably smell my desperation a mile away.

This may sound sad and pathetic, but it is what it is. I am just being honest. I have a wonderful husband and great kids. In nearly every area, life is really good. But it is hard to be a SAHM in a new place. It is hard to make new friends when every one else has their established circle. It is hard to feel like you are back in high school trying to prove you are cool enough to hang out with. I never bought into that attitude when I was in high school, and I have no patience for that attitude now. I guess that makes me low in the play date pecking order.

0 comments: