Monday, February 15, 2010

The Snowboard Police

Dear Nate,

It has been hitting the 'netwaves that you are irritated with your competitors wearing pants that do not conform to your baggy style.

Let me reiterate the key word here: conform

If snowboarding is anti-establishment, and the clothing that snowboarders wear symbols of those beliefs, how the hell is telling people what they are supposed to wear in keeping with the spirit of snowboarding? Doesn't that fly in the face of everything you represent? As much as you hate to admit it, that means letting people do whatever the fuck they want. If the majority of snowboarders wear baggy pants, the guys and gals who don't are actually keeping the anti-establishment spirit alive. They don't want to look like you. They want to carve their own path to represent who they are and what they feel. They look at you, snicker and wonder who died and made you the Snowboard Police.

So, shut the fuck up and do your job. Represent the US. Represent your snowboard culture. Represent yourself. The other guys are doing it. If you are going to talk the talk, you'd better walk the walk.

Sincerely,
NATUI

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conformity is so NOT super-cool. Plaid baggy pants or 1980's neon, it's all scary after the fact.

Go, you.

Cristin said...

Well said my friend!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

YEAH! You tell him, girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Which is exactly why I wear baggy pants. Because they tell me to. But I'm not down with that, so I don't, because I'm anti-conformist. But then, I don't want to be a meanie so I wear them. Because I don't want to conform by being a non-conformist.

Oh, never mind . . .

KJ said...

Hear, hear.

When I read about that I thought...what's the difference between him and my grandfather being "non-conformist" and going to college instead of working the farm and then insisting that everyone else in the family be a white-collar east coast college grad like him? No difference. Don't say you're a "non-conformist" and then set a standard you expect everybody else to conform to in order to keep them in your good graces.

Not Afraid To Use It said...

@Titanium: OMG let's not even talk about the neon. I wear my sunglasses at night...

@Cristin and CMGD: Thanks!

@tysdaddy: You had an awesome logic line going there for a second.

@Kat: Exactly. He became the old man at the office when he started spouting out how things are "supposed" to be.

Shelley Jaffe said...

Yeah! And stop dissing the Canadian booty. What the fuck are you checking the tightness out for in the first place? Free-stylin', hippy pervert.