Monday, March 23, 2009

Ditch the Diapers, NATUI-style

How to potty train your son, NATUI-style.

Step One: Yell at your kids and tell them to sit on their beds and read a book.

Step Two: Sit in on the sofa drinking newly imported Hawai'ian coffee and eating a Ghiradelli brownie while listening to your kids laughing and yucking it up in the back of the house.

Step Three: Chat with your husband and feel content that at least they are occupied and happy in the back.

Step Four: Your two-and-a-half-year-old son comes running pants-less into the living room shouting I pooped! I pooped!

Step Five: Exchange wide-eyed, incredulous looks with your significant other.

Step Six: Rush into the bathroom to stare in awe, wonder and amazement at the first tiny turd your son ever dumped in the toilet. Completely uninfluenced and on his own.

Why didn't anyone tell me it was this easy? Now? All of you know.

7 comments:

jayna said...

And here I thought I was all alone in this phenomenon :-)

Two days ago, E climbed off the bed where we were reading, hightailed it over to the potty chair that generally just collects dust in the corner, whipped off her pants and proceeded to pee in the potty like it was nothing. She's been on a roll ever since.

I'm still scratching my head, but hey, if she wants to potty train herself, I'm all for it.

RiverPoet said...

WELL DONE!!!! I'm sure there's something brilliant I could say about how well-adjusted your son will be for never having felt shame or doubt about his ability to control his own bodily functions. I'm sure I could do a dissertation on it. But I'll just say - WOW!

Peace - D

formerly fun said...

I am so jealous! I have one more to potty train and then we're done. My now five year old peed on the toilet with no problem, never wet hersel but pooping? She refused. I would have her sit on her potty with a book at the predictable time, after 20 minutes, nothing. Then two minutes later she would have snuck off to a corner of her room and crapped her pants, oy. My youngest is 1 1/2 so it's a ways off but I'll try your technique.

The Van Goat Ranch said...

Love it! I'm just wondering....have you ever watched that show "Still Standing". It's now syndicated and on Lifetime (yes the hopeless women's channel),but it's one of the funniest damn shows I've ever seen! My sister and brother-in-law have gotten me started watching it since I've been staying with them after my surgery. It just seems like you would enjoy the humor. You are way cool. I enjoy your blog and I'm flattered that you read mine. Cheers!

Irrational Dad said...

I fully expected step 6 to say something along the lines of the toilet being empty and the tiny little turd to be found on the bed.

Kudos. I'll be trying your technique soon.

holly* said...

i am interested in your philosophies and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

A Free Man said...

Do you want to come down here and break my colt?