Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Somebody's Grampa, Somebody's Son

We went to the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday. Because today is Veterans Day, I want to share with you the photo I took at the WWII Memorial.

This photograph was lying on the wall, wedged beneath part of the iron scroll work.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

I don't know who left it, or why. The photo itself reminds me so much of my grandfather. I supposed it is the pose, with its 1940s patina. To see it made me miss him terribly.

So for him, for all of our family members and friends, lots of love and appreciation your way.

Now I need to go and call my dad.

6 comments:

krysta said...

i wonder something... is that memorial going to be like the vietnam memorial where people leave thing? or was it a one time deal.

A Free Man said...

That first image is just perfect for the day.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Wow. Great post and pictures, hon. I've been glancing up at my Dad's Marine Corps/Korean War pictures all day.

Kelly said...

Great post...and great picture. I am so grateful to our U.S. Servicemen and their families...past and present.

Saying thank you just never sounds like it's enough.

Anonymous said...

remembrance day. i watched the parade on our street. I remember my mum watching it on the TV when I was small and crying and I asked her about it. And she said we should remember so that it would never happen again. Her dad was in the SBS and commandos.

PastormacsAnn said...

Their sacrifice should never be forgotten.