Friday, July 25, 2008

Supplementing the Family Income

No, this post is not a Stay-At-Home-Mom-Turns-Hooker confession. While that may have made for better blog fodder, I haven't gone down that path yet.

Instead, this is my trumpeting of my scores from FreeCycle and CraigsList over the past few weeks.

Other bloggers have shared their varied experiences with these sites. I am fully aware that there are some crazies out there. Hell, I am probably one of them. Happily, I am usually oblivious to that fact.

In any event, the past few weeks have brought me some very lucrative deals, indeed. Check this out.

Hubbie is getting yardwork done? Hell yeah. Because I got the lawnmower off of FreeCycle. That's right, bitch. And the extra stroller for the kids so they would stop fighting over the one Santa brought this past Christmas.


And not that a stroller can't stand-in as a lawnmower, but why not get a kid-sized one for free?



See that pint-sized lounge chair? Uh-huh. Two of them. Off of FreeCycle. The slave labor was free, too.



Hubbie was bitching that he wanted the gates off of the kitchen doors. The problem was that LittleMan kept taking things off of the bakers rack we were using. I found the solution. CraigsList. $5.



Not a good picture, but an 8 foot slide for the backyard. There are no supports to it, but that is a quick and easy fix. As a matter of fact, the munchkins are loving using as a bridge right now.


LittleBird needed a big girl swing for the backyard that she could get off and on herself. CraigsList. $10.



See LittleMan loving his new picnic table? FreeCycle, baby.



LittleMan loves his FC pirate treasure. It came with two magician hats and wands that the kids adore.



And tonight? The Play Cottage. Yep. Someone is moving overseas and gave it away in the free section of CL. I got there and she gave me the kiddie porch swing, too.






Of course, this does not include the dresser I got for LittleBird, the bicycle Hubbie rides to work every morning or the slightly shady and probably semi-illegal business transaction we made to knock money off of our rent every month, a side-result of which was this.


Yep. A case and a half of Smirnoff.

In closing, I think I have been pretty fucking creative in scoring things to make life a little more bearable for my family.

Now that I have gotten the bragging out of my system to my blogger friends, pardon me while I hammer the message home:

Hubbie. Show a little more gratitude. This stuff does not just fall into our laps. I know you do not enjoy driving all over town to pick this stuff up, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new lawnmower. Quit being so fucking pessimistic and show a little god dammed appreciation. Thank you.

Stepping down from my soapbox now.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh?!

Sorry, I stopped paying attention when you said that this was not going to be "a Stay-At-Home-Mom-Turns-Hooker confession". That's all I read anymore.

Well done on the plunder. I like the concept, just not the wolf caging crazies that you meet along the way.

You're not a wolf caging crazy are you?

RiverPoet said...

Great work, NATUI! I think I may have to try Freecycle, because I have some stuff that I HAVE to get out of my house. Have to. I would rather get the Goodwill charitable tax deduction, but they don't like to take any furniture that isn't perfect. I have some tables and a desk with a few scuffs. Could be used as is or could be refinished.

You've inspired me to get these things out of here and into new homes.

Peace - D
(drop by sometime, wouldya?)

CPA Mom said...

Oh.My.God. I cannot believe how much stuff you got for free or dirt cheap. Free Cycle and Craigs List huh? I've never tried them. Wow. I'm literally speechless. Well, as much as I can be.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Damn, woman! You kick ass! I had never heard of FreeCycle until now. Might have to check it out...

Shelley Jaffe said...

How on earth do ya do it all? You're a treasure-seeking marvel!!

Mouthy Girl said...

Yesyesyes!!!

The celebrating I'm doing in your honor would put Meg Ryan's performance in When Harry Met Sally to SHAME, sister!

I LOVE myself from Freecyle and Craigslist! The solution to the whole bakers rack problem? FUCK ME RUNNING, I want it!

There is nothing wrong with scoring shit off of other people. And a case and a half of vodka? Classic. And I don't even drink.

That porch swing? If Buddha sees it he will immediately begin plotting how to steal it. He's got NO shame!

Kelly said...

I LOVE the idea of FreeCycle, but I don't think they feel the same way about me. I applied and never heard anything back. Do you think I was rejected?

Anonymous said...

We are so coming over to play... you rock! And I was all proud of my free roller skates...

Unknown said...

LOL! My couch and loveseat came from Craigslist, but so far that's the limit. :)

Miss talking to you!

Anonymous said...

I have Freecycled so many things and love giving the stuff to people who are really excited about it.
You got some great things! Wow!

Robin said...

Ooh, I'm jealous of all the stuff you scored. I'm going to have to try this. Garage sales aren't working for me anymore with a toddler and a half.

Gypsy said...

Score!! I've been watching my local Freecycle group, but haven't seen anything I need yet.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I am huge on Freecycle and Craigslist in my town.....LOVE THEM!