Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Anniversary To Us

Ahhhh. The best laid plans.

We were headed in to the big city to get hubbie a new pair of glasses. Maybe hit a few stores. Drive back up the mountain get the kids put to bed and enjoy a little snuggle on the couch.

See, today is our wedding anniversary. We can't afford to do a whole lot, but that has never bothered us in the past. We are just glad to be together on the same continent.

So we are on our way down the mountain. Switchback after switchback. LittleBird tells us her belly isn't feeling good.

She tells us she has to poop. We tell her we are almost off the mountain and that we can stop in a few minutes.

She looks more and more glum. Then she starts to cry. And I knew. I just knew.

Our daughter would only cry for one reason.

And the fountain of vomit started.

Copious does not even begin to describe the amount of puke that came out of this child. The poor thing just could not stop. Somehow she missed the doll that was tucked under her arm. But she hit everything else. Her lap, the back of my passenger seat, the floor, my VBAC bag, the back of the driver's seat.

Thank god there is no snow yet because I do not know how we would have managed. We found a turnout, stripped her down to her skivies in 40 degree weather and had her stand in front of the heat vents in the front seat while we tried to salvage the situation.

I do not know how we are going to get her carseat straps clean.

Eventually, we made it home. LittleBird is having chicken noodle soup with her pappa and asking to watch her Charlie and Lola dvd. Things are looking up. I hope. We'll see how the soup goes over.

So, happy anniversary to us. I guess I could be disappointed, but this what it is all about. Puking kids and ruined upholstery. We're already laughing about it. What else can you do? I wouldn't have it any other way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a thing would so happen to me. She mommed your ride. And, of course, I hope she feels better.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh, dude! That happens to us EVERYTIME we go somewhere more than 15 minutes away. Miss-Miss just get violently ill. And, like Little Bird, she'll cry and say, "Mama! Hep!" just before the fountain begins. I'm so sorry. That's no fun. And, the car seat straps? Just clean them as best you can and then coat them with Febreze. That's the best I've been able to do.

Hope she feels better!

Oh, and? Happy Anniversary!

Patois42 said...

I so feel your pain, and I'm in awe of your ability to look back and laugh already. Of course, you've not been back in the car for a ride again, right?

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Oh yeah. I got back in the Jeep. With her chunked-on clothes still stuffed into the toddler toilet in the tailgate. I had to make a grocery run for applesauce and oyster crackers. I kept the windows down and my gag-reflex in check. I told you I'm a badass! LOL

me said...

Poor baby! I hope she feels better. For all of the knowledgeable women and mamas out there, you can go ahead and laugh at me. I had no idea what VBAC was and had to look it up. Very cool and I feel lame for not having a clue. :)

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Aww! Don't feel bad that you didn't know what a VBAC was! Just be glad you never HAD to know! LOL

Thanks for the well wishes. LittleBird is doing much better. Full of piss and vinegar. Now it is just the rest of us who are sick.