Thursday, October 25, 2007

Old MacDonald Has The Crabs

Ever sing a children's song over and over in the car until the words no longer have any meaning? Until you would rather gouge your eardrums out with a knitting needle than hear it one more time?

We have had a few episodes in the car where we have gotten a bit punchy. After singing Old MacDonald until we were hoarse and racking our brains to think of animals we had not already mentioned, LittleBird kept asking for "crab" because of her Dora book with King Crab at the beach. We had already incorporated him into the song 47 times --for those who need to know, a crab on Old MacDonald's farm says click click.

I just couldn't stand it anymore. So I ended up singing "Old MacDonald had the the crabs." My mom spluttered and thumped me on the arm, I was mentally rejuvenated, and LittleBird was none the wiser.

More recently, we ended up having to sing Baa Baa, Black Sheep while substituting every color imaginable. Baa Baa white sheep. Baa baa red sheep. Baa baa green sheep. Baa baa striped sheep. Oh my god somebody fucking kill me before I drive off the road.

Hubbie and I suddenly got that punchy feeling. "Have you any wool?" was followed by "No the bastards shaved it all off." and on and on about naked cold sheep. Hubbie and I ended up laughing hysterically, LittleBird couldn't hear us but knew that suddenly mom and dad were having a great time. And we had the energy to sing sing sing all the way home.

Have you guys come up with any interesting or adult versions of children's songs to entertain yourselves? Please share!

2 comments:

Patois42 said...

Oh, we've come up with quite a few, mostly bastardizing lullabies. It's harder now that they're older and (sometimes) paying attention. Whatever it takes, that's what I think.

Unknown said...

"Have you any wool?" was followed by "No the bastards shaved it all off." and on and on about naked cold sheep. Hubbie and I ended up laughing hysterically..."

Priceless. I'd invite you two to my kid's birthday party :)