Monday, May 19, 2008

MIL Monday: The Wedding Dance

Since my inspector crapped out on me today, I have a MIL Monday for you.

Inspired by my friend The Baroness, of course.

When Hubbie and I got married, there were several non-negotiables. For both of us. He had his list. I had mine.

For the reception, the top of my list? The Chicken Dance.

For every wedding my family throws, the Chicken Dance is performed. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Hubbie was totally on board. He knows how crazy my family gets at public functions. He was all for it.

When MIL heard that we planned to the do the Chicken Dance, she laughed. She shook her head. She thought we were kidding.

Then she shook her head again.

And told us she wouldn't do it.

I told her (with a smile and a laugh) that it was family tradition and that it would be played.

The day came. The vows taken. The food served. The music played.

My cousins grabbed the microphone, handed out fake chicken noses in honor of my uncle and family members not able to attend and announced the beginning of the Chicken Dance.

We had a gigantic circle. Huge. All the Swedes, Americans, Dutch, Kenyans, Canadians--we had people from many countries at our wedding. Every able-bodied person laughed and thought it was hilarious. Everyone joined in to participate.

MIL sat on the side.

Through the whole thing she sat at her table and refused to join in the revelry.

I am sure her actions spoke loudly. She chose to not participate. I do not know what the guests thought, but it was all on her.

All that is in the past and would stay in the past, except for our NATUI Afternoon Fun with Music sessions.

I have been playing lots of my old mix CDs for the kids in the afternoon to keep them entertained. I found the CDs we played at the wedding. Guess what was on it?

That's right.

I figured, if LittleBird can learn the Hokey Pokey, she can for damn sure learn the Chicken Dance.

Here is the evidence.




When MIL saw the video, she commented on how adorable it was. How great the Chicken Dance was.

Fuck you lady. You are a liar and a poser. And not in a good way.

8 comments:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Dude, she is soooo ready for Helen, Georgia, Oktoberfest! Woo hoo! Git yer beer-drinking face on, Little Bird! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love, LOVE (extra one there to show how much I love) the Bird Dance - the great equalizer of the masses. And to be able to pass down such a resume builder on to the kids - it just brings tears of gratitude to my eyes. May this gem of culture transcend all time!

Krishanna Magic said...

do do do do do...do do do do do...clap clap clap clap...Damn it. Now that is going through my head. LOL What a thing to hae rattling 'round your brain after you've just talked your head off to a bunch of collage artists. Thanks.
LOL

RiverPoet said...

Soooooo cute! And your MIL? So much like mine, but...even worse! What a wet blanket!

Peace - D

Anonymous said...

Love it! Screw you monster in law!

Deb said...

That MIL of yours needs tequila--lots and lots of tequila.

Personal fan of the chicken dance--go LB go!

Gypsy said...

The chicken dance is terrible! In the best possible way. ;)

Anonymous said...

I came to your site from Wordless Wednesday. I love that you bitch about your MIL. I started a secret blog so I could bitch about mine (and other people) without her or my husband finding it.