Monday, March 24, 2008

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Sometimes I am a cool mom.

Mostly, I suck.

I let Hubbie do the majority of the dirty work. Our move to NewTown has changed all of that.

I knew my life of leisure would end with this move. I knew that I would have to step up my game.

Today was the first day of the rest of my life.

LittleBird's had her first day of school. Apparently getting into preschool can be likened to applying to university. We have jumped through hoops and whored ourselves to anyone who would listen.

Today was the day. I had to be responsible. I had to be on time. I had to be prepared for the screaming fit LittleBird might throw when I left her in her strange, new school.

Her lunch got packed. We were early. We got to the classroom.

She was fine.

No drama. No tears.

All week we have been grooming her. What always happens after school? Mamma always comes to get you.

I guess I did a good job because she barely noticed that I left.

Which left me reeling.

Preparing for the worst only leaves you feeling unbalanced when everything goes well. When is the other shoe going to drop? What am I missing?

I did forget to brush her teeth this morning. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I won't tell if you won't.

6 comments:

RiverPoet said...

Awww, sweetie, that first day is so hard! It sounds like you did everything right (who cares about the toothbrushing, considering all of the other things you had to do!), so of course it went well. For me, the other shoe dropped when I got home and cried like a baby myself. :-)

Peace - D

Anonymous said...

Awwww...Im glad it went well! Forgetting to brush the teeth. Meh..No big deal.
Sorry I missed you this weekend! Im at work now. Im gonna call you this week!

Professor Booty said...

I always expect the worst and then find it a pleasant surprise when things go better than my expectations. Not a great philosophy, but its mine.

Glad it went OK.

Mrs. Booms said...

I may or may not have had my kid a chew a piece of gum on the way to school when I may or may not have remembered to brush her teeth that morning.

Just so you know.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I'm so glad it all went well! You know me. I'm right there with you on Hubbie taking most of the morning responsibility. I just can't get my ass out of bed! This fall will be a doozy when the twins start preschool.

Mouthy Girl said...

Hooray for Little Bird!

You gotta take credit for the smooth transition, chick!