Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thanks For Ruining A Perfectly Good Song

Ever get to joking about how when you were a kid, you misunderstood lyrics to a particular song? It is funny except for people like me who have incredible memory for linguistic quirks.

I love all kinds of music, particularly those gems from the 1950s and 1960s. When the Redneck Metro Area I lived in actually had an Oldies station, one of the DJs quipped about Secret Agent Man, by Johnny Rivers. Now, I love this artist. Love love love his music. But said DJ joked It isn't Secret Asian Man, people. It is Secret Agent Man.

Fucker.

That was years ago. Guess what I hear every time I listen to this song? That's right. Secret Fucking Asian Man.

To add insult to injury, neither can I listen to EuroTrash Girl, only my favorite Cracker song ever. Why? Because the other day I hear LittleBird singing along I'm a trash girl! I'm a trash girl!

It's just so unfair.

8 comments:

A Free Man said...

Secret Asian Man, Secret Asian Man. Works....

I'm looking forward to Zach ruining all sorts of songs for me. Going to go listen to Cracker before he has the chance. I haven't listened to them in ages, thanks for the inspiration.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Too funny! Was she doing a toddler-type pole dance while singing it? :-)

Sue said...

hahaha. I understand, but I can't think of any of my own examples today. It's too early to think.

Mrs. Booms said...

Yeah, I've got these too.

Tenth Avenue Freezeout is Tent Devil In The Freezer to me and Dirty Deeds was Dirty Knees when I was a kid.

Argh. But thanks now I have those stuck in my head too! :)

Shelley Jaffe said...

When I was little, there was a jingle for Dairy Queen "Eat, Drink and Be Merry" - I thought it was "He's drinkin' with Mary". Much funnier. And I refuse. to. give. this. up.

Unknown said...

Now I'm stuck with "I'm a trash girl!"

The one that was ruined for me by an ex-boyfriend's father - instead of "There's a bad moon on the rise," he sang, "There's a bathroom on the right." Now every time I hear the song, those are the words in my head. And if someone mentions anything about a bathroom being on the right, I instantly have the tune in my head.

Shelley Jaffe said...

What about "Slow Motion Walter" instead of "Smoke on the Water"? Amusing. Ha.

Krishanna Magic said...

"Here I am with Broken Arms...nothing to hide..believe what I say..."
Open Arms by Journey

"I'll stumble for you.."
I'll Tumble for Ya by Culture Club

"You light the fire while I place the children on the hearth..."
Our House by CSN

"Nuff said...Heh.