Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm Your Average White Suburbanite Snob

I'm taking a bit of license with Dennis Leary's lyrics, of course. Any illusions I had about myself being this groovy kind of hip chick were shattered by my weekend in San Jose.

All I wanted was a coffee. A Starbucks to be precise. All I wanted was a fucking latté, and there was not one to be had for miles.

Our GPS was in the shitter and not picking up any kind of signal. We never saw one coffee shop. And I was a crabby, bitchy wreck over it.

So, here I thought I was this cloth diapering, VBACing crunchy kind of mom. That I wasn't the kind of girl who cared about things like having übertechnology in my car.

The sad fact of the matter is that I found myself bitching about our GPS and the fact that I needed a gourmet coffee. I think if I heard myself talking at a party I would have to kick my own ass.

I think I need to join a book club.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It's okay. You are totally allowed to have a vice or twelve. You should join a book club. We need to do a blog book club, dontcha think? And, then discuss what we think in a post on a specified day?

Anonymous said...

Great post!

My fav line is "I think if I heard myself talking at a party I would have to kick my own ass". Like AFF said, we are all allowed to have a vice or two...

The Teacher said...

nice one, here's one for you, i live in africa which is supposed to be 3rd worl country and similarly today my GPS just could not connect to one of 8 satelites... the difference is im supposed to be understanding but im not... had a similar reaction... thanks for the warning though... will watch myself at all parties!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I won't kick your ass - 'cause I bitch about the same shit when I should just be grateful that I at least have food in my belly and toilet paper in my bathroom.

Unknown said...

I just realized the other day on the way to pick up Tree Faerie from daycare that there are 5 Starbucks in a 3 mile stretch on ONE ROAD! Can we say overkill? But I sure like the convenience when I'm having an over-priced-ultra-flavored-craving...

Anonymous said...

Haven't we had this SAME conversation when talking about one of our other friends??

Don't worry, I won't tell :zip lip:

Hee hee!

lattégirl said...

This is seriously funny. Talk about snobs: I had a visitor from Out West (Canada) some years back and she was a latté fiend. I thought she was such a Yuppie (this was back in the day when we used that word - I feel old now) and we went out on a Sunday to try and find her a good latté. Well, in that part of Montréal where I was living, the only decent cafés were closed on Sundays. She was jonesing.

At the time I didn't get it, but I do now, as you can see by my nickname.

I actually got hooked on latté when I was in rehab for a month, and the hospital, surprisingly, had a machine that sold really damned good latté for 60 cents. That's when my OTHER habit started. Heh.

Trouble said...

This has happened to me also, recently, and it's frustrating as hell.