Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cultural Indoctrination of the Worst Kind

All of us have a list of experiences we want our children (or spouses) to have. Certain sports, certain foods, certain films.

This weekend, I introduced LittleBird to the world of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.

I know, I know. Who would subject their children to a film like this? I ask, who wouldn't? Now granted, if I am watching it by myself I skip through most of the solos sung by the female singers. But damn, there is something sexy about men singing. (And if you don't believe me, think back to all those rock stars you just knew you would hook up with when you were a teenager.)

A lot of these so-called wholesome films from the 50's and 60's garner another look. There is so much adult humor and sexual innuendo that it is nice to actually have to use your brain to get the jokes. If you need your entertainment to be politically correct, these films are not for you.

Besides, I am a sucker for Howard Keel. (Many of you may have known him from his role as Clayton Farlow in Dallas.) I was crushed when he died. I wore black to work the day I found out he had passed away. And no, that is not an exaggeration.

So, if you have a kid who loves gymnastics or ballet give this film a spin in your DVD player. In our current world of one-dimensional celebrities, it is nice to watch a movie with people who can actually do more than look pretty.

I don't know what is next on my list for the kiddos. Maybe the Sound of Music? Mary Poppins? Probably Calamity Jane--Keel looks amazing as Wild Bill Hickok. And ooooooh, that baritone.

Plus I have had the added bonus of hearing my hubbie walking around singing Bless Your Beautiful Hide under his breath. Ha! I'll get you my pretties. And your little dog, too.

9 comments:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Oh! Oh! Mary Poppins! That's my vote!

And? Loving the template, girlfriend!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Thanks lady! I am think Mary Poppins, too. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is on the list as well, but I think that one is still too scary for her.

And I'm glad you are digging the template. Fuck it's a lot of work though. LOL

Love Bites said...

let me put in a vote for pollyanna or chitty chitty. they are awesome. oh, and the original parent trap which is just precious.

Unknown said...

Here's another vote for Mary Poppins! Of course, those songs get stuck in your head easily, too.

I hope Tree Faerie loves musicals as much as I do...

RiverPoet said...

I've never seen 7B47B. May have to check it out. I tend to like LIVE musicals, particularly if I am helping in the production. Wish I could still do it.

And I'm with you about men singing. I am a sucker for a lead singer :-D

Peace - D

Not Afraid to Use It said...

@LB: You know, I think Pollyanna is going to wait for quite a while. My dd is SO sensitive--and I found the movie disturbing as a child. I mean, she fell out of a tree and could never walk again. I could never figure out what the hell was so great about THAT. As for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, any movie whose main character is named Truly Scrumptious has got to be rockin'!

@Andrea: I hope Tree Faerie does too. They are so much fun when you can take them to see it live on the stage.

@Momma: Live musicals are always awesome. I did two while I was in Junior High for our community theater and it really changed my life. I hope my kids get to experience the "behind the scenes" aspect of it some day. What is your fav you've seen live?

Strange Scottish Girl said...

another vote for mary poppins, I fancied dick van dyke til i found out his name... oxymoron?
other childhood musicals... gotta be labyrinth : "Dance, magic dance, magic dance, magic dance, slap that baby, set him free" quality...
I found Wizard of Oz too scary. West side story I liked a lot though...Aladdin too... My friends and I when I was 11 dressed as the cast of Aladdin at hallowe'en and went guising... we don't have trick or treat in Scotland (well, maybe now) instead when I was wee you had to sing for your supper, quite literally. We wrote poems in school about our characters and recited them... What about Oliver! and the Jungle book?... they're all coming back to me now...

Strange Scottish Girl said...

oh, and grease, get that arm moving!!!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I know!! Once you start thinking about all the great movies it is hard to stop!!! LOL