Sunday, December 16, 2007

He Answered

It took a few days, but I actually got a response to the letter I sent the father of my deceased classmate. I have to admit, I felt very nervous when I saw his email in my Inbox. I was hoping I hadn't overstepped any boundaries. Here is what he wrote:

Dear M,

Thanks for the nice and highly readable letter. It struck a responsive chord in me. You are very nice and very kind to send me this lovely letter.

K. is always on our mind; if she changed the path of your life for the better, we are extremely delighted.

With kind regards,

T. S., M.D.

I am still processing how I feel. It has been so many years. I feel I have waited so long to accomplish this. I can now say that I have succeeded in my goal. Strangely, it feels a bit anti-climactic just now. I do not know what I was expecting. He wrote a very kind letter, and I am thrilled that it was the right family. And that he did not chew my head off for bringing up such a sad truth in their lives. I think because it is so sad is precisely why I feel a bit off. I didn't change anything. K. is still gone.

I am sure I will feel better about this in time. I just wanted to share with you my success in telling her family how I felt. That he actually wrote back. And that sometimes reaching a goal doesn't make you feel the way you thought.

5 comments:

Patois42 said...

I'm sure he and his family cried when they read your letter. Cried as they likely do quite often. But also cried tears of joy that their daughter's life reached beyond her immediate family, that she made a difference.

me said...

I think it was brave of you to write the letter to her family and lovely that they responded. I think that all to often we reach a goal and the feeling is anti-climactic, I wish that weren't the case but I guess that is just the way it is. I think that the family must really appreciate that there daughters memory lives not only in their lives but the lives of others as well.

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I'm glad he responded positively. Granted, it may have been difficult for him, but I'm sure he and K's family were very appreciative of your letter.

The Van Goat Ranch said...

I am happy for you that he answered - I think it's really nice that you wrote him. I mean if you think about it, most anyone would be happy that someone remembered their child that way.If the parent wasn't happy, then they probably have some kind of issues you couldn't have known about anyway. Just a thought......

The Van Goat Ranch said...

p.s Thanks for visiting my blog - I'm sure we are kindred spirits. I want to break my foot off in that guy's ass for even accepting that kind of money. Let's get jobs as librarians and then we can hang out and discuss the problems of the world over coffee while surfing the internet!