Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Who're You Calling A Crybaby?

I went to see an old high school friend yesterday. The only one I remain in semi-regular contact with. I know that she is a bitter chick with a really harsh sense of humor. I know I have told myself on several occasions to just drop her. And I did. For a long time. I totally caved last year and saw her anyway. So far it has been bearable. Until yesterday.

She kindly had a little playgroup at her house. She does not have children but was babysitting a mutual friend's 2 1/2 year old daughter. LittleMan is in a really sorry state since we came to visit my folks. He is clingy, his teeth are bothering him and he has serious separation anxiety.

Not long after we arrived, LittleMan was being fussy. He wanted to be held. He wasn't screaming, but he was being really whiny. He is 14 months old for godssake. My friend looked across the room and said to LittleMan, "You are a crybaby."

What? He is fucking one! In a new house that he does not remember. It would have been one thing if she had commented on his being whiny, or that he has stranger anxiety. But something about her throwing the word crybaby at my son really chapped my ass.

And for the record, he is a baby that cries a lot. I totally see that. Today has been the worst yet. But he is not a crybaby. I do not refer to him as such, and I thought it rude that she did. Not only in front of him, but in front of all the other children as well.

Looks like it is time to put this friendship on the back burner again until she grows up a little bit more.

7 comments:

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

That's unbelievable. Don't you just want to smack people upside the heads sometimes and ask what the hell were they thinking?

Military Mom said...

The nerve of some people! What is it about some people that think they have licence to criticize other people's kids. A real friend would never so that, that totally breaks mommy-law. Give her Hell, chick!

Patois42 said...

Lord, that is one "friend" you definitely don't need.

M the Mommy said...

That is horrible! Drop that friend like the bad habit she is. Your son sounds perfectly normal to me. He just needed some mommy cuddles. It's okay to cry, he is a baby that is how they communicate.

Anonymous said...

Geez-what's the saying..."with friends like that, who needs ememies?". You have every right to be mad. A true friend would have never said that to your baby. Drop her.

Anonymous said...

PS-thanks for dropping by my blog!

Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll said...

How awful--anyone who speaks to children like that is in need of some a$$-whooping. And kids cry, its a fact of life, its how they communicate. She doesn't sound like someone I would want to be near, nevermind have around my kids!