Thursday, August 16, 2007

Old Guys and VBACs Don't Mix

I carry this bag as a diaper bag. I think it is witty, and it is a good conversation piece. Sometimes.

I just had my first negative experience from the general public regarding my VBAC. Yesterday I was at our local overpriced-coffee-selling establishment with the kids and had my VBAC diaper bag hung on the back of my jog stroller. An elderly gentleman approached me--I honestly thought he was going to ask about the kids.

He said: I know what "VENI" means, and I know what "VIDI" means--I came I saw. But what that last word. VBA?????

I answered: Oh! That means Vaginal Birth After C-section.

You should have seen the man's face. The only way to describe it is recoil. As soon as he heard the word vaginal his entire body shuddered, and he literally turned tail and practically ran back to his wife who was standing in line. I heard her snicker a few seconds later.

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sad at his reaction. It was pretty amusing at the time. I guess he didn't know what he was getting himself into. I am opening myself up to it by carrying this bag. But I am proud of my VBAC, and I think it is worth a goofy comment or two. Poor guy, though. I'll bet he thinks twice about asking some hot young thing what a logo on her bag says!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a scheduled c-section with Punkin' and can only say: I. Loved. It.

I've been asked what I'll do next time (if I get so lucky as to have a next time) and I say another scheduled section.

Call me a wimp. I can take it! But labor pains? Awwwwwww....

Angi said...

Funny! I would of loved a picture of his face for your Wordless Wednesday!

Bea said...

Very clever saying - I love it!

Unknown said...

I would have paid money to see his reaction!!

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

I'm glad you are proud! I had a vaginal with my first and an emergency c-section with my second and if we have another, I fully intend on trying for a VBAC!